Wednesday, May 7, 2008

God's Country

Several years ago my grandfather Nelson gave me a book, a BIG book, an edition of “A Treasury of American Folklore”. He had a well used copy in which I had show some interest previously. It is a wonderful compilation of folk songs, tall tales, yarns &, poetry. Its contents allude to the hopes & fears, dreams & realities of our countries frontier heritage. As I said it is a rather large book, I have not read it all. I have read one story, previously unknown to me upon which I ponder from time to time about a frontier family in search of God’s Country. They moved several times in search of a better life. They raised a family, fought fires, centipedes, poor crops, sand storms & drought. They spent 48 years together hunting for God’s Country before her beloved died. “Before he died we learned something. Something terribly important…”

If you would have asked me 15 years ago what my life would be like up till now I am not sure how I’d have answered. I do not believe that I would have predicted multiple moves landing in Utah County. Our married time in Cedar seemed brief yet turbulent. The time in Wellington was taken entirely for granted. We did not recognize until we left how deeply we had come to love our friends and neighbors. I don’t know if or when the vacant hole in our hearts will ever be filled. Thankfully some of those loved ones are willing to keep up a long distance relationship & have become even more dear. I don’t know how many of those I am thinking about today will ever see this but to all of you who touched our lives, by loving us, accepting us & just being you, thank you. You may never know how much it meant. You are all in our prayers. (Mormon 8:3)

“…We learned that God’s Country isn’t in the country. It is in the mind. As we look back we knew that all the time we was hunting for God’s Country we had it. We worked hard. We was loyal. Honest. We was happy. For 48 years we lived in God’s Country.”

Find peace with what we have & where we are, physically as well as spiritually, & we will be happy.

For What It’s Worth

Ryan

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ryan, What a neat post! I would love to read the story about the family searching for God's country. What a profound lesson to be learned. I am sure you are sharing that story with your little ones, and I do hope so, because what an important concept to understand while still young. The older I get, the more I realize how true it is. Even though I personally consider our little valley to be Gods country, (except for during June, July, and August)I know that wherever we go, if we are blessed to experience love and friendship even amidst the difficulties of life, we are in God's country. Thanks for sharing! Love, Mom O.

solivvus said...

Ryan, Your comments are always very heart felt and insightful. I really enjoy reading them. Keep it up!

themayerfamily said...

I totally agree with your thinking--God's country, or the "promised land" if you will, is where you are, if you will but make it. Thanks for the post!

Amy said...

Ryan,

I am so thankful for your comments. I always relate to what you have to say and I am a better person for it! You have touched our lives in soooo many ways. We are truly, truly blessed to have such a great friendship with you and your wife, and your sweet kids. We love you guys, and just so you know,the hole in our hearts will never be filled. But, I can be thankful that you guys are close enough to keep it bandaged!
Love, Amy

Tammie said...

Oh baby no matter where I go I'm in God's Country if I'm with you!!!!!