Sunday, June 15, 2008

Eminent Men

Poets, Preachers & more.

This is a post that I have wanted to make for several weeks. Unlike many fleeting thoughts my ardor for this one has not dimmed with time. It comes as no surprise to most of you that I like to read. I grew up with most of my free (as well as a few stolen) moments consumed in a book. I love stories. In books I traveled the world. I crossed the plains, fought Indians, sailed ships and flew airplanes. I froze in Siberia and nearly died of thirst in the deserts of Arabia. As good as it was, and believe me it was great, my tastes seem to be changing. I read a reasonable story a few weeks ago. It was entertaining and avoided worldly evils. I was not however a better person for having spent the time. Kind of disappointing. In contrast I also recently read a book in which virtually every page lifts your thoughts and reestablishes the standard for personal excellence.

A series of 48 condensed biographies “The Other Eminent Men of Wilford Woodruff” by Vicky Jo Anderson, describes the lives and convictions of a surprising group of Christian men. Each chapter is about a different man who, along with our nation’s founding fathers, appeared to President Woodruff in the St. George Temple requesting that their work be done. The back of the book includes a list of the 70 Eminent Women (most of them the wives of eminent men) who requested the same service. It also includes excerpts from journals & discourses of Wilford Woodruff regarding the experience. These journals along with the temple records are the source for the list of men detailed in the book. They were a diverse group, poets, actors, soldiers, preachers, kings, congressmen, artists, explorers & scientists. Each of them men of courage, discipline and faith. Here are a few of my favorites.

Admiral David Glasgow Farragut – The first American to receive the title of “Admiral”. Farragut went to sea in his youth, he was given temporary command of a seized ship for the return voyage at just 13. He spent his entire life in the Navy. At 60 years old he was given command of eighty ships blockading southern ports during the Civil War. With 30 ships he was commanded to take the forts at Mobile Bay. His flagship in 3rd position they approached the torpedo line intending to follow the path of the blockade runners. The first ship sunk when it veered into the torpedo bed and the second in fear began to retreat nearly colliding w/ the flagship. In this precarious moment Admiral Farragut appealed to heaven for guidance asking “Shall I go on?” He said that he was answered “Go on!” God had spoken to him, and personal danger could not deter him. Shouting “Damn the torpedoes” (heard that before?) he urged his fleet ahead. Torpedoes bounced off the hull & primers snapped audibly, but there was no explosion. He took the forts and closed the last of the southern ports. More impressive still, he was a Virginian. He chose nation over neighbor. He & his family narrowly escaped Norfolk in the days following succession.

Thomas Johnathan “Stonewall” Jackson – Confederate General, shot by his own troops while reconnoitering the battlefield. This is one man I had actually heard of prior to reading the book. I knew him as a determined defender, a leader who inspired devotion & sacrifice from his troops. What I did not know was how he did it. He was a very religious man. He read regularly from the bible & caused that churches were built for his soldiers to worship in. He did not require participation but given that he & General Lee were regulars the services were well attended. He taught his men to pray, and pray from the heart. Prior to the war he proposed that the nation unite in prayer that the war may be avoided. I am not sure that kind of unity has even yet been achieved. Jackson’s only defeat came under orders from superiors. After each victory he would write in his report , “God blessed our arms with victory.” He was a formidable military man and a superior leader. Personal opinion God took him so the North could win.

My clear favorite from the book was Thomas Chalmers. A Scottish preacher, he conducted an experiment upon his parish. For the better part of 12 years he reviled against the evil and immoral practices of society, yet he experienced very little change in the disposition of his flock. “I am not sensible that all the vehemence with which I urged the virtues and the proprieties of social life had the weight of a feather on the moral habits of my parishioners.” It was not until he preached “the free offer of forgiveness through the blood of Christ” that significant lasting change was made in peoples lives. As he prepared to leave his parish he told them that “You have at least taught me that to preach Christ is the only effective way of preaching morality in all its branches.” A profound lesson, I intend to learn from his experience.

I loved this book!

For what it is worth.

No comments: