Sunday, August 3, 2008

Thinking

Tammie Related the following story to me a few weeks ago. Climbing the stairs yet again that day she looked up & noticed Mathew standing at the top with an unusually pensive look on his face. Curious, she asked simply, “what are you thinking?” His answer has far more meaning than he intended. He replied sincerely, “just thinking about what I want to think about.” Maybe it was because he had ample time on his hands so that the luxury of prioritizing the subjects of his ponderings came naturally. Knowing him it may also have been deliberate. In either case the desire to spend his time effectively is impressive. What a great kid.

President Eyring in his book “Because he First Loved Us” tells of attending a meeting along side a fellow with impressively marked scriptures. This man had studied topics and marked each topic in a specific color w/ corresponding tabs at the edge of each page. After asking the Man to explain his system & reasoning Pre. Eyring found himself purchasing a new set of scriptures so that he too could effectively study specific topics. He continued, “..it took more than a few days and more than a few prayers for me to know the topics that would open the scriptures anew for me.” He prepared himself than asked the Lord for the most beneficial focus of his time. Before beginning he like Matt chose what to think about and study. Could this be one of those things about which the Lord wants to tell us but cannot because we do not ask?

I believe that Matt was thinking deeper than he realized. Without direction it is hard to anticipate a destination. I hope to follow my son’s example & find more meaning in my study.

For What it’s Worth

Ryan

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ryan, I so much enjoy reading your sensitive insights. Thanks for posting your thoughts...they are always thought provoking and inspiring. Love you, love Matt, and love your precious family. Mom O.

Emily said...

I love this. That Matt is such an adorable, sweet and super smart kid!
What an example he is to all of his family!!

I love your thoughts...especially when they are this length! :) You are such a super guy and I am glad you and my sis got hitched! By the way....Happy Annie Tomorrow!! And after you give your sweetheart a squeeze, squeeze that cutest little 2 year old niece of mine!!

Love you all, Em

Felisa said...

Ry, you are a stud! I love it that you blog, and that you always have such profound, though provoking words to say... Now lighten up a bit will ya?!? Just kidding. Love ya tons Ry!!!