Sunday, April 5, 2009

Appearances

A few months ago I came home w/ a large chunk of unpretentious wood. It was a piece of burl or root & I was giddy with excitement. Although it was not much to look at, I could, in my minds eye, see the squirrelly, twisted, wild grain created by the roots as they grew in and around each other. I felt that it could be something uniquely beautiful. Tammie’s incredulous question, “you paid for that?”, was somewhat less enthusiastic.




The Prophet Samuel was warned against superficial judgements. “…for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart.” (1 Samuel 16:7) Regardless of how rough or refined our beginning, the Lord’s ability to apply strategic pressure will gradually, by successive revolutions, cut away the layers of uncertainty & doubt to expose our true selves, the person He knew long ago. He who knows the end from the beginning also knows us. He knows who & what we are. He knows our mission, our destiny. Because of his love for us He uses this knowledge to provide experiences that mold our minds and shape our souls. From His hands we emerge confident, unique and, beautiful.




I enjoyed releasing this piece from the wood. While it is true that beauty is often in the eye of the beholder I love the way it “turned” out. If in the end, the shape of my life, of my soul is pleasing to none but God that will be enough.

For What It’s Worth

Ryan

4 comments:

Amy said...

Ryan, For what it's worth, I LOVE the way it turned out and thanks for the inspiring words! I needed to hear them! We sure do miss you guys! Hope all is well.

Anonymous said...

Ryan, you are truly amazing. I think it is beautiful! You are so very talented! And thank you for a most profound analogy...I love your thoughts and believe you are exactly correct. Thanks for sharing! Love, Mom O.

Felisa said...

K, if it weren't for the fact that you signed the bottom, I would've sworn it was written by a general authority. Maybe just one in the making ;)

You have some serious talent Ry. And some very deep vision. Thanks for sharing both. I love you lots!!!!

Love,
Felisa

Ruckman Clan said...

Way to go big brother. I sure love the way it turned out. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and talents. You are amazing.
Love ya
Ta